Wednesday, November 12, 2008

the white room

The skyscrapper that houses the White Room Recording Studio located at Grand River and Griswald is almost completly abandoned except for the 3rd floor where i am curently sitting in this room ------>
control room of the recording studio.

Once through the frosty glass door you hop on an old school elevator and walk into a few beautiful rooms filled with music equipment. The rest of the floors are filled with odds and ends from when artists used to squat. I am here listening to my friends band, The Summer Pledge, complete the recordings they've been working on for the past few months. This recording studio, where kid rock once brought in jacuzzis to track one of his albums (for better or worse), is bieng sold. My friend Andrew Davis and his friend chris are trying to save it, I am told they are in the vision process, and thats about all i can publish on the internets.
i will live here someday, this will be my view
turn a corner and see this


I spent the greater part of today overwhelmed and baffled by the world. The world moves fast always, and i often feel like i need to step on the brakes... but today felt different. Lately i've been feeling this crushing feeling of an impending crisis. but i know it's not only me. We are living in volitle and uncertian times. Who knows what tragedies or victories are coming our way. Yesterday I learned that my bosses husband was forced into early retirement because GM cut 3,500 more employees, my friend Angela was violently mugged and beaten blocks from my house, a friends mom had surgery to fight a brain tumor, my friend Aj lost his 2 year internship just as he graduated, and after all of those aweful things.... my friend Jasmine and Andrew are having a baby. They have created something that trumps all the bad in the world, new life, new possabality, a reason for us to keep fighting. Right now the entire world is holding it's breath, no one is confident in which steps will move us forward, but daily on our streets in our homes and in our hearts life does not wait, it cannot. Regardless of our finicial situation, what part of the world is at war, what city buildings are crumbling under thier own wieght, the sun still sets and it also rises.  we have to keep the flame of hope alive.

I've been trying to write an article about Detroit and the many ways i can see our future. My thoughts are supported by years of research. I can't get over the feeling of being overwhelmed. life in general is not helping.

No comments: