Sunday, November 9, 2008

in this cold city my home is a burning ember.

the first snowflakes, on my balcony last night.
in this cold city my home is a burning ember.

So blogger was down lat night and i was unable to publish my normal weekend wrap up. which is wierd. so now i am plugged up like a hose with too much preasure.... i have ideas ready to burst from my seems.

There are a million things that i would love to put out to the world everyday and it's hard to decide which ones are worth anything.

First i have to include a correction and appology.. then i'm going to include photographs.. they can tell a story.

ATTN: the Funk night at russell was NOT put on by CAID. It was produced by Mike Mackool, Fank, Nicole, and Ernie. They throw killer events. Anything with thier name on it will be hoppin' and right now they are working Slow Jams Monday at the woodbridge pub, which seems to be gaining Momentum. Monday nights drink special is $5 beer and a shot. Who could go wrong?

I spent the later part of my saturday, and early sunday at one of there events... well Mikes last night as Fourth Horizon. Ghostly recording artist Michna played the motor city movie house at the russell. i dont think anyone could leave the dance floor.

anyways.

i spent thursday enjoying the last warm day of the year.
windows
my cousin and pushed all the leaves in an empty lot of a house they just demolshed into a pile... upon jumping into them she pulled out a large chunk or brunette hair. needless that was the end of that.
last nice day
we went and climbed trees instead
fences
saturday i found myself at a jewish synagogue... the one on state and griswald.
sabbath
Oren and Courtney organized the event where Benny Stoofy, the misinformants and a few others played. i sat under a sign that read no smoking on the sabbath drinking a beer, and as usual pondering the irony of life... sometimes. which makes me laugh uncontrollably.
bands at the synagouge
i left early but i heard the dance floor was packed till the wee hours. around 5 am.
oren
Later that night i found myslef inside of a building i have always wanted to adventure in. I was let in and asked not to link the photographs... so here one is. i can only tell you it was a fulfilling experience.
night lights
Sunday i was awoken by my best friend and kidnapped to Detroit One Coney Island on woodward. I almost burst my kidneys from laughing so hard at our afternoon breakfast.
I spent the rest of the gloomy afternoon adventuring around some of my favorite spots. Blowing the clocks off of dandylions, and exploring an old friend, the Globe Trading Company. I took a photograph there on a sunny day once after talking to a homeless man who inhabits the space for awhile. This photograph has garnered me some notoriety, it is not online and i would like to keep it that way, but it is of the light streaming in and the man (Oscar, i'm pretty sure is his name) reading a book. About the time i took that photograph, 3 years ago, is when they first announced this historic building was going to be turned into luxury lofts. The Globe was one of the first steal structures in Michigan, and Henry Ford was an intern there. They built boats once upon a time.. and if you need more information i have the complete application to make it a historical site. I could go on for hours.
Anyways, 3 years later the sign is still on the outside advertising the lofts... but the inside has not changed and oscar still lives there.
_MG_5270.jpg
In this photograph there is a tiny white light in the center. that is Oscars reading light. you can view it better on my flickr.
the globe trading company
i was there untill the sun completly set.
chunky grain
Around the block from the gobe is one of my very favorite spots in the city. i spent an entire summer there. i still go back to get away, but the meaning has changed. the people have faded away. construction on the riverwalk has altered the landscape. But on this cold gloomy day, it felt like Montauk from the scenes in eternal sunshine of the spotless mind.
_MG_5302.jpg

call me a hopeless romantic.. then i sipped hot chocolate as it snowed.

i need to figure a better way to upload photographs. these small ones are silly. see them larger on my flickr. www. flickr.com/photos/vanessamiller

No comments: